Satellite rule query

Re: Satellite rule query

Postby rick m » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:07 am

Dave, Our BP tests used excellent containment and we experimented with three methods:
1. containment with 1 atm pressure x
2. containment after a vacuum was applied xxx
3. containment but without 100% seal x

We are separating the satellite from the last stage, we are simply using methods other than a separate pyro charge or other things (springs, etc) to cause separation to save weight. I just read what I wrote before and that point is not clear. We are experimenting with a new propellant that would reduce the weight of the final stage and using and testing alternate methods of separation for the satellite that eliminate the mass of a separate device. We are having problems with our propellant 'detonating' if the conditions are not just right.
Hard work is good for you, try it.
rick m

Postby Monroe » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:31 pm

Not worth the effort. Other pyrogens don't need special treatment I don't even think its good for a 100kft launch.

Monroe
Monroe

Postby rick m » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:28 pm

Designed and built by Richard Nakka for our project and successfully tested by me but what do we know...I'm just a geologist.
And our 'special treatment' only required 0.04 gram of the pyrogen for successful deployment.
rick m

Postby rick m » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:22 am

Looks like we aren't the only group using Black Powder for recovery. Nicely done Derek. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvDqoxMUroA

Rick
rick m

Postby rick m » Thu May 09, 2013 11:14 am

and still another group using black powder for deployment above 100,000'. Team Aeropac's 2012 100K Rocket Project used a CO2 system as the primary deployment and black powder as the secondary. The CO2 system did not fire and the vehicle was safely recovered by the firing of the back up black powder charges...they also won the Carmack Prize as a result.

Unlike others have claimed, this again confirms our testing of black powder as an inexpensive, light weight and reliable method for high altitude/space deployment. Needless to say, we will be using black powder for our deployment.

Rick
rick m

Previous

Return to Questions about N-Prize rules