Progress

Progress

Postby WillD » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:27 pm

So far is a little slow
I've got a prototype satellite transmitter almost completed, got some range tests to complete at the end of the month, almost certain of 150KM range without extensive kit, supposedly up to 400 is possible with a hefty dustbin lid.... ;)
Balloon flight almost ready for high alti test in June; more info will be posted. Essentially looking for a dummy flight with full launch avionics to check all is working as envisaged :)

Ceramic rocket nozzle testing still on going too - looking promising but a little refining is needed going forward
WillD

Re: Progress

Postby WillD » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:38 pm

a few updates
further satellite tests will be completed by the end of march, as i'm sure others are finding; battery performance is the main issue - i.e. not enough punch per gram for a decent power output for the 7 hours plus transmission time. Hopefully some piccies and vids to post at some point.

i'm having fun testing the main engine of the rocket, though i'm nowhere near the full calculated power required :( again i'll post some cool vids by the summer (even the ones where the engine CATOs ;-)

anyone in the UK planning on launching in the UK?
WillD

Postby lavalamp » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:01 am

I don't know how much of the mass budget you have left over for a battery, but if it's 7.6 g or more then the Energizer Lithium AAA looks good for it:
http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/l92.pdf

It could easily maintain >= 70 mW continuous power output during the 9 orbits (which would surely be more like 14 hours than 7). How much power do you need?
lavalamp

Postby DaveHein » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:52 pm

lavalamp, that looks like a nice battery. With a 5% duty cycle it could provide 1.4 Watt pulses of power for 14 hours. Assuming a 25% transmitter efficiency, that could transmit a 350 mW one-second pulse every 20 seconds.
DaveHein

Return to Team WildSpace