Best 'fuel' for a LOX motor

Best 'fuel' for a LOX motor

Postby rick m » Thu May 07, 2015 8:07 pm

I've made hundreds of solid motors and hybrids from 29mm Gs to 200mm Rs and over the years I've made a few things for liquid motors but never made one myself. Last week I made a LOX hybrid and fired it 3 times and after seeing how easy it is to work with LOX, I want more ( :

I now want to make my own LOX/liquid fueled motor and would like to know what fuel people doing liquids are using and why...Jay?
I've seen people use kerosene, alcohol, propane, and even one use gasoline. Personally, I like alcohol since it is very easy to handle and clean up and given the right one, drink the leftovers.

Thoughts?

Rick
Hard work is good for you, try it.
rick m

Re: Best 'fuel' for a LOX motor

Postby Jay » Sat May 16, 2015 6:14 pm

There is no “best” fuel. Every fuel/oxidizer combination has its advantages and disadvantages which vary from one configuration to the next. The liquid oxygen/liquid methane (LOx/LNG) system being developed for the alpha engine by Firefly Space Systems is interesting, but you seem to have already picked your poison. Just be sure not to drink the leftovers until after the launch!

Jay
Jay

Postby rick m » Mon May 18, 2015 3:46 am

We have not yet decided on one, all are being considered. in the mean time, we did another successful Sugar Shot solid test yesterday.

Rick
rick m

Postby rick m » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:38 am

Now have fired 3 LOX hybrid motors (75mm, 100mm and 150mm). We had a burn through on our 150mm motor test due to an improperly fitting liner/grain; that problem has been solved. We are pleased with the molded nozzle throat retainer used, the phenolic/graphite throat burned/eroded away leaving the molded retainer unscathed. We will be fabricating a larger 'retainer' that includes a larger portion of the convergent cone, if successful, will try a full nozzle made from our molding material.

If successful, we will also begin using this material for Sugar Shot to Space as a light weight replacement for our steel nozzles.
rick m

Return to Liquid rockets