[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
• View topic - Last chance to register... and an extension.

Last chance to register... and an extension.

Last chance to register... and an extension.

Postby pauldear » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:17 pm

Dear N-Prizers,

As you know, the current deadline is looming (again). I know of a handful of teams who are, with a bit of luck, pointing in the right direction and almost ready to light the blue touchpaper; but, at the same time, I know that no team is likely to win either of the prizes by the current deadline of Sept 19th 2012.

Therefore, I am making a final extension of ONE CALENDAR YEAR, taking the deadline to September 19th 2013. This will be the second and absolutely definitely final extension, and I am still hoping to be poorer by £9,999.99 (or, ideally by £19,999.99)! Heck, if nobody wins the prizes by Sept 2013, I'm just crazy enough to try myself.

Remember also that both prizes are still first-past-the-post.

IMPORTANT: Although currently-registered N-Prize teams will be able to compete for the prizes until Sept 19th 2013, the N-Prize will be CLOSED TO NEW ENTRANTS from the current deadline of Sept 19th 2012. So, if you're planning on a last-minute bid for the stars, you will need to register in the next few weeks.

Yours,
Paul
pauldear

Re: Last chance to register... and an extension.

Postby wookie » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:55 am

the only way i can think that anything might happen is for all / some of the teams to unite and work on each component separately

each team could then form a unified team concentrating on their field of expertise rather than try to cover all bases

rather than have umpteen teams trying to do umpteen motor tests they could have a few teams conduct the motor tests

with everyone on the same page the total cost of testing would fall for each team.

there would have to be some agreement on how the thing will be put into orbit etc

a master blueprint would be distributed among the teams so that the thing could be assembled at a few places.

the final assembly would most likely occur in the country where the thing will be fired off (its tricky getting a rocket across borders)
wookie

Postby pauldear » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:50 am

Interesting idea. As far as I know, none of the teams has yet formed an alliance, although there's quite a lot of information exchange.
pauldear

Postby Monroe » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:04 pm

I'm willing to form an alliance with any team willing to do so.

Monroe
Monroe

Postby Monroe » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:05 pm

This is it! January is a month of paperwork! We are finally filing OFFICIALLY with the FAA for our attempt of orbiting the N-Prize satellite. Filling international paperwork with the United Nations for permission to orbit. Our first attempt will be the space shot. ANYONE interested in being involved with a team actually filing for a launch permit and learning the process is welcome to join. Being evolved with a team at this level WILL help your career in the new space industry and NOW is the time to jump on it if your serious.
It has been a long road over the past few years and we are not going to fall short on the paperwork for a real attempt at the prize! I REALLY, REALLY need help getting the information about the filling to the internet as I can't keep up with everything that's happening. I will do my best to keep everyone informed about the progress but you know there is a LOT of work to be done and I wont have time to do all that and provide the information in a timely fashion. I think it is important to get the information out there.
I have the dispersion analysis software now and we have HIL progressing to the point we can simulate the entire flight with the actual flight hardware. We can prove our equipment to the powers that be in real time. Get on board now and help us really do this!

Today's the Day! We go into Space!

Monroe Lee King Jr.
Monroe

Postby SANEAlex » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:47 pm

Good luck Monroe, sorry cant help with paper work as we are over the pond its not looking good for our team at the moment but when i looked into some of the regulations over here it looked like it might be possible to get our home secretary to give us a pass on some of the red tape if we showed that it had an educational aspect(which were were sure we could shoehorn in ;) ) and also we would be non profit as the prize would have gone to charity. Mind you i reckon that any credible attempt will actually be non profit even if you comply with the generous rules as hours worked and ground equipment is i think likely to be more than the prize is worth that was why i was and am trying to find a sponsor. It might be that there are similar exemptions your side of the pond in the very small print.

SANEAlex
Someone has to tilt at windmills.
So that we know what to do when the real giants come!!!!
SANEAlex

Postby SANEAlex » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:37 pm

Oh and as an extra helping hand if its not too late for you or any of the other Rockoon type teams i will put this idea in the public domain just in case it hasn't been thought of before i have not seen it.

To get extra lift If you want to warm the gas in your balloon without a lot of extra weight have a central column black balloon down the centre of your balloon and release close to noon on hot sunny day even better if the bottom quarter to half of the big balloon is silvered mylar as it will create parabolic reflector onto black central balloon.

SANEAlex
Someone has to tilt at windmills.
So that we know what to do when the real giants come!!!!
SANEAlex

Postby Monroe » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:15 am

A little trick I use is to dust the inside of the balloon with Graphite :) It provides enough heat absorption to really help out. ;) It's easy to do too.
Monroe

Postby Monroe » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:18 am

Thanks Alex and good luck to you guy's! It's taken a great deal of effort to get this far, I hope the FAA and the rest realize that and see the effort we put into it. I think we have enough data now to impress them enough to get a GO! We shall soon see.

Monroe
Monroe

Postby rick m » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:46 am

Hard work is good for you, try it.
rick m

Return to New teams, new teams map, new deadline...