New teams, new map, new deadline.

New teams, new map, new deadline.

Postby pauldear » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:56 pm

Dear All,

The extension of the deadline has been discussed elsewhere here, but I realized that some visitors may not have noticed this. Also, you may not yet have spotted the new "Teams map", linked from the N-Prize front page. (The new map highlights the fact that Russia has yet to enter a team...c'mon, comrades!)

Finally, this is an opportune moment to say "hello" to all the recent sign-ups, who have brought us to a grand total of 40 teams!

Which reminds me - I am having a new batch of N-Prize patches made, and will be sending them out to the newer teams soon. If you already have some but would like a couple more, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Best wishes,
Paul
pauldear

Re: New teams, new map, new deadline.

Postby cpooley » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:05 pm

I have a problem with the new teams map. A lot of the teams in USA are mis-located and it is hard to click on a name of choice.
Couldn't there be a list of the team names below the map?

Mine, Microlaunchers, should be in Las Vegas--was Mojave California in south-west of US. LMR is in Georgia on east coast, and Phalanx is in Ohio south of Lake Erie, for example.
cpooley

Postby Monroe » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:09 am

The new graphics are cool Paul! I miss seeing our insignia just right off but, hey it's a good looking map. Good luck to all the new teams! If your in the US and want some pointers or help contact me, we are here to help. Go for it!
Monroe

Postby rick m » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:03 am

WOW, 40 teams, that's impressive. I hope one is successful.

The map reminds me of some old cold war map of ICBM launchers. Are you able to make it so you can link the team bio/data by scrolling over the rocket? That would be cool.This past weekend we successfully tested our new igniters with a four inch 2kg seven point STAR core sugar propellant grain. It started right up in a fraction of a second and without our usual priming of the grain surface with pyrogen. Today we finished the sustainer nozzle of the rocket we're designing to reach 100,000' for the Carmack challenge but on Sunday I successfully fired a multi-pulse sugar motor that may make a two stage motor unnecessary. Can one reach orbit with sugar? I'm also talking with two people about the possibility of incorporating a hybrid stage in the design for orbit.
Hard work is good for you, try it.
rick m

Postby pauldear » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:37 pm

Some of the map issues have been fixed - Charles, I think we moved Microlaunchers - is it now in roughly the right spot? The USA is still pretty crowded, but hopefully you can find and click on your team. When you do, the team details (including logos, contacts etc) should pop up.

One thing that the map highlights is that there's a big hole immediately to the right of Europe - are there no nuts in Russia? India? China? Russia at least has no shortage of ingenuity, and it would be good to make this a real "space race".
pauldear

Postby Monroe » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:50 pm

It might be that they discourage rocket experimentation in Russia? It might be difficult to get oxidizers there?

Monroe
Monroe

Postby rick m » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:39 am

One of our Sugar Shot members that did a lot of the original propellant testing is from Russia.

Rick
rick m

Postby Monroe » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:57 am

Anything going on with the new guy's?

Monroe
Monroe

Postby rick m » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:47 pm

or even the 'old' guys, are you still launching next month?
We have a new propellant/motor test this weekend, the primary grain was cast off center but we'll static fire it for proof of concept.
I now have some 8" bulkheads made up for another new booster in the works for the Genesis project.
And we are close to being done for testing with the new long burn liquid orbital insertion motor (propane).

Rick
rick m

Postby rick m » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:14 am

We had a CATO with our new propellant/motor design today. It was 'spectacular' as most CATOs are...to be expected when designing/building new things.
Already starting on improved versions to correct what happened.
rick m

Next

Return to New teams, new teams map, new deadline...