Sugar Shot to Space "Influenced"

Upcoming launches, TV shows, meteor showers....heads up!

Sugar Shot to Space "Influenced"

Postby rick m » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:59 pm

I keep toying with the idea of throwing my hat into the N-Prize ring, especially since the deadline has been extended (maybe forever?). If I do, it will be from my close association with Sugar Shot to Space and the possibility of providing a low cost reusable sugar booster to get something up to 250,000' and then let people who know what they're doing go from there since it is very unlikely that a purely sugar powered launch vehicle cannot make it into orbit no matter how many stages.

We have our first DSS grain casted and are planning our first test of the motor August 6 at the FAR test facility in the Mojave Desert of California. This will be to my knowledge, the world's largest sugar powered motor ever fired. We are all excited and strangely, may end up winning the Carmack Prize with this vehicle. I would have thought someone else would have by now or at least before we are ready. It wasn't a goal for us but now seems like we could if no one goes before us.
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pho ... =1&theater

If Paul does put an unlimited deadline on the N-prize I will eventually do it.
Hard work is good for you, try it.
rick m

Re: Sugar Shot to Space "Influenced"

Postby pauldear » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:38 pm

Hi Rick,

Well, I am sincerely hoping that the N-Prize will be won by the newly-extended deadline of Sept.2013 - but that gives you almost 14 months. A woman can make a baby in just 9, so ...

Best of luck for 6th of August!
P
pauldear

Re: Sugar Shot to Space "Influenced"

Postby rick m » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:59 pm

Spoken like a biologist, but if you think about it, it took almost a 1000 years to go from the first "rocket" to orbit and this is about men with big egos and fantasies trying to do something nature never intended people to do ( :

Another step closer, yesterday at FAR we got the motor deluge system working for the upcoming Double Sugar Shot motor static test.
We also test fired for the first time our new steel nozzle that worked fine except we had a motor case burn through near the forward bulkhead.
And now that we know how to turn a steel nozzle on a lathe (easy) we are starting tomorrow on a lighter version for a sustainer.
Hard work is good for you, try it.
rick m

Return to Don't miss this!