RIP Charles Pooley of Team5 Microlaunchers

Anything that doesn't belong in one of the other forums goes here.

RIP Charles Pooley of Team5 Microlaunchers

Postby SANEAlex » Tue May 05, 2015 5:28 pm

Quoting from JamesG on the spacefellowship forum

"Its with sadness that I learned that Charles Pooley "CPooley" has passed away this week. He has long been a fixture of the amateur rocketry community and this forum and was the driving force behind Microlaunchers."

I liked some of the ideas he shared both here and the spacefellowship forum, My condolences to any family and friends.
Someone has to tilt at windmills.
So that we know what to do when the real giants come!!!!
SANEAlex

Re: RIP Charles Pooley of Team5 Microlaunchers

Postby rick m » Wed May 06, 2015 8:00 am

I was sorry to hear of Charles passing. I first met him at launches and tests at the FAR site and then at a few Space Access conferences. Always had time to talk about space vehicles and always seemed to have his notebook with his updated plans. I was sad when he moved to Nevada and we lost contact but he lives on in his MicroLaunchers book he co-authored with Ed Lebouthillier.
Hard work is good for you, try it.
rick m

Postby Jay » Thu May 07, 2015 3:20 am

“The heavens themselves blaze forth the death of princes.”

I never met Charles, but I admired him immensely. He was a tireless advocate for the democratization of space transportation. We have lost one of our little community’s truest friends. Perhaps the best tribute we can pay to Charles Pooley is to realize his dream for him by sending our own “microlaunchers” blazing across the heavens.

Jay
Jay

Postby Monroe » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:12 am

I meet Charles right off the bat when I got started with the N-Prize and we butted heads right off. I latter meet Charles at FAR and as time progressed we became friends. Charles was a particularly frustrating fellow for me and I actually began to enjoy our email conversations over the years we became good friends. I was at Space Access 15 waiting with Ed the co-author of the Microlaunchers book and he said "Charles should be here! I am about to check and make sure nothing has happened to him" The next day Ray and I set out on the Sportster for Texas which took a few days. When I checked my emails at home I learned my friend and one of the greatest advocates for small space had passed.

Godspeed Charles and straight on till morning.

I will do my best to avenge you and Richard Speck. Today's the Day! We go into space!

GO! Team Prometheus!
Monroe

Return to General chit-chat. All welcome.