Prometheus Unchained

Prometheus Unchained

Postby Monroe » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:57 am

Well after a good break from the SF and the N-Prize our team has made a great deal of progress. We squired some property for a new shop and are about to break ground on it. We also acquired a Bridgeport and a South Bend Lathe along with another larger lathe.
We now have 2 TIG welders and a bunch of other stuff we have needed for a long time in order to build liquid fueled rocket engines.

So the next coupla years ought to be pretty exciting!

Monroe

I'm not going for the N-Prize publicly if our team where to try it you won't know until it's already been done most likely. But I will post some of our projects here that would pertain to anyone interested in an N-Prize attempt.
Monroe

Re: Prometheus Unchained

Postby Jay » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:00 am

Welcome back, Monroe. I suppose few things can make a seasoned machinist happier than the prospect of putting a new lathe (or three) to work!

I’m particularly interested in liquid fuel systems and look forward to hearing more about your projects. Also, is Matagorda still in the picture?

Jay
Jay

Postby Monroe » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:17 am

Matagorda is ON! It's also our static test site! Are you ready to rummmmmmmbbbbbllllleeeee!

Monroe

Armed with this new equipment there will be NOISE!
Monroe

Postby Jay » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:57 pm

Excellent. I'll be listening.

Jay
Jay

Postby Monroe » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:39 am

Right now it sounds like trees breaking under the weight of a loader and Chainsaws and the straining engine of my old blue beast F-250 pulling 6 tons of machining equipment to put in our new shop! If you want to check out that action.
https://www.facebook.com/monroe.lee.king.jr
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Pro ... ?pnref=lhc

I'm usually posting something every few days there.

Monroe

Sooner or later the http://www.teamprometheus.org website will get some attention also.
Monroe

Postby Monroe » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:41 pm

We have just about finished the shop! We are also building an Arocket turbopump designed by Lloyd Droppers with CAD design by Lars Osborne. Paul Breed is supplying the electric motor for testing the pump. This is a Peroxide/Gasoline engine we are working on.

The impeller for that pump is being printed now by Eric Gustafson

I just acquired a 65.5ft 100 ton vessel named the Ava Marie in Port O'Conner Texas. We are now looking for a barge sea worthy for the Gulf of Mexico.
Monroe

Postby Monroe » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:19 am

Eric just finished the first print of the arocket impeller. Here is a google earth shot of the Ava Marie about to be christened the "Prometheus"
Attachments
Impeller 256.jpg
Impeller 256.jpg (193.79 KiB) Viewed 38721 times
Ava Marie.jpg
Ava Marie.jpg (254.89 KiB) Viewed 38721 times
Monroe

Postby Monroe » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:04 pm

Just in case your still watching our team. We had a banner year in 2015! The shop is finished and functional The turbopump is under development. A new flight computer based on the PX4 and RPi. Another cubesat project is underway. 2016 looks to be even better! The 5 axis cnc machine project is ongoing. The new filght computer was developed for cubsat attitude control and that also brought new life back to the X12a Spaceplane project via the cold gas reaction control system.

So yeah we are still in the game.

Check out the new website at www.teamprometheus.org too.

Cheers!
Monroe

Postby Jay » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:09 am

Very happy to hear about your impressive progress, Monroe. I just took a second look at the boat. It looks huge. I didn't realize it was so big. Your updates are always welcome news.

Jay
Jay

Postby Monroe » Sat May 28, 2016 5:25 am

Still making progress! We needed the 5 Axis machine to finish the turbopump project and I've made good progress with it. I can not post photo's of it just yet as we plan to sell these. The shop is going well I just put up a 100ft antenna tower. I still need to build the alt/as mount for the antenna. We will be tracking cubesats with it. I will post some photo's of that soon.

We made a large jump in avionics which will be helpful to the entire rocket community but I'm looking at legal issues and making sure everything is on the up and up. I will be able to demonstrate that system soon. I've also been working with SatNOGS in an effort to make tracking something amateurs can do.

Keep looking up! You will see us soon.
Monroe

Next

Return to Prometheus