new LOX Hybrid

new LOX Hybrid

Postby rick m » Wed May 06, 2015 8:14 am

This past Saturday I successfully fired my first LOX hybrid motor at the FAR site. It was a busy day as I also launched our 75mm Sugar Shot to Space small scale sustainer. I am fortunate enough to have many friends that helped make both projects a success. The sustainer was recovered intact and will be launched atop our small scale booster that has now had 3 successful static test firings.

The LOX hybrid was fired three times on Saturday using 2 different fuel grain formulations. The first firing did not completely burn the fuel grain due to low pressure and filling of the tank. We then fired the second grain as the first grain was being refurbished for a second burn. Being my first LOX motor, it was for evaluation only for a larger one. It proved so successful that several of my solid motor friends helping now want to build their own LOX motors...it was impressive!

Because of the low Isp of sugar motors I have not seriously thought about the N-Prize (we've been working on a sub-orbital vehicle). Now with this LOX motor, it changes everything.
Last edited by rick m on Thu May 07, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hard work is good for you, try it.
rick m

Re: new LOX Hybrid

Postby Jay » Thu May 07, 2015 3:23 am

Careful, Rick. You’re halfway to becoming a liquid fuel evangelist. You’re already preachin’ to the choir!

Jay
Jay

Re: new LOX Hybrid

Postby rick m » Thu May 07, 2015 7:31 pm

Jay, I've been working with nitrous hybrids for a long time, this is the first time I've used LOX. I was given a sketch of a design, using off the shelf parts from McMaster-Carr and some machining of my own (tank, combustion chamber, injector, bulkhead, etc), fabricated the test stand and picked up 180 liters of LOX and the rest was easy. Made my own igniters and looking forward to fly it or make a larger one. While building it, I thought of several ways to make it pure liquid and that I will build after doing this hybrid for a 'customer'. Probably the biggest thing that has enabled me to do a lot of this stuff was learning how easy it is to machine your own parts.
Reminds me of a National Geographic program I 'consulted' on, How Hard Can It Be: Rockets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJppeRWSD94

Have I given up solids? No, will I give up on Sugar Shot to Space? No, I am making two sugar motors for some college groups I mentor launching their rocket projects this weekend. I think this LOX is a pleasant change.

Rick

ps Anyone still working on the N-Prize? I would now like some 'competition' ( :
Hard work is good for you, try it.
rick m

Return to Hybrid rockets