Hydrogen Peroxide

Hydrogen Peroxide

Postby jacob.chancery » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:35 pm

Anyone else interested in Hydrogen Peroxide as an oxidizer? It has a long and successful history in space launch.
It was the oxidizer for the United Kingdom's only orbital launch vehicle, the Black Arrow.
It drove the turbopumps in the X-15.
It drove the turbopumps for the Redstone Rocket.
It was the oxidizer for the NF-104A astronaut trainer.
jacob.chancery

Re: Hydrogen Peroxide

Postby Jay » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:43 am

Hello, Jacob. Welcome to the N-Prize forum. Even though it’s usually rather quiet here except when someone has an announcement to make, I think you will discover quite a lot of interest (here and elsewhere) in hydrogen peroxide as an oxidizer for liquid-fuel rockets. Depending on its use and concentration, the compound has been known by various names; H2O2, high-test peroxide (HTP), concentrated hydrogen peroxide, T-Stoff and so on. Despite the considerable danger associated with handling HTP, the advantages are not easily discounted.

HTP can be inexpensively distilled from low-cost low-grade industrial hydrogen peroxide at the point (and time) of use, greatly reducing the bureaucracy and hazards involved with storage and transportation.

The aqueous solution does not require cryogenic storage tanks or fuel tanks.

The manufacturing process is surprisingly environmentally responsible.

Combustion in rocket engines using HTP as an oxidizer is as clean as using pure oxygen.

The catalytic decomposition of HTP is ideal for driving the turbopumps in pump-fed engines.

Extremely simple, highly reliable, low-cost, pressure-fed hypergolic engines are also possible with HTP.

I see in your profile your occupation is listed as “Rocket Scientist,” so I’m guessing you already know all this!
Jay

Postby cpooley » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:23 am

peroxide is a major bother. When John Carmack (Armadillo Aerospace) was using it I used to tease
him: take the hydrogen out and what's left will work better.

In the LLC Lunst L:ander Challenge, 2 split all the prize money: Carmack and Masten.
Both used LOX. I helped Paul Breed, who used H2O2 and did not win any money.
He spent most of his time, effort, money dealing with peroxide.

LOX is easy to handle, is cheaper, widely available. For us, no other will do.

Maybe N2O for very small rockets...
cpooley

Postby Jay » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:41 pm

No doubt about it, hydrogen peroxide will turn on you if you give it half a chance, but every system has its down side. H2O2 has been used successfully in several programs and if you are equipped to distill your own HTP from industrial grade stock, you can produce all the oxidizer you want for pennies per liter. At that price, a high-volume small-scale launcher might consider hydrogen peroxide worth the bother.

Jay
Jay

Return to Liquid rockets